Florida is renowned for its pristine beaches with fabulous resorts and hotels. These resorts often offer the opportunity for a Jet Ski rental for some pre-determined amount of time. As with renting anything, there are some do’s and don’ts associated with Jet Ski rentals that all tourists should be aware of:
- DO ask around your hotel or resort for a reputable Jet Ski rental company (best to ask the concierge if available).
- DO ask if the rental company is affiliated with the hotel or resort you are staying at. If it’s a third-party vendor, ask about their reputation.
- DO visually inspect the rental operation, including friendliness and professionalism of the staff, cleanliness and condition of the equipment, and if the staff offers the proper safety equipment and instructions.
- DO ask about the boundaries of where you may take the rented Jet Ski.
- Since most rentals are by the hour, DO ask how you will know when your time is up.
- DO ask if ALL the costs of the rental are included in the stated price (e.g. tax and fuel costs).
- DO communicate to your family and/or friends that you are renting a Jet Ski and how long you anticipate being gone.
- DO carefully read the rental agreement, and ask if you do not understand any parts.
- DO follow safety instructions such as wearing your life vest and keeping the emergency stop attached to the Jet Ski.
- DO look out for obstructions, other vessels and other people while on the water.
- DO NOT operate the Jet Ski under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- DO NOT pay with a credit card if you are in a foreign country – disputes are hard to reconcile.
- DO NOT handle or operate the Jet Ski rental beyond your experience. If you are new to using a Jet Ski, then do not attempt maneuvers outside of your comfort level or skill.
- DO NOT disregard safety instructions given by the rental company staff.