Firework safety is an important part of enjoying your Fourth of July celebrations, but so is caution in regards to food preparation and water safety. Keep the holiday weekend’s beach and backyard cookouts memorable (in a good way!) by arming yourself with a few simple tips that will keep the festivities safe and fun!
Before you splash into summer, remember:
• Never leave children unattended near water.
• Swim with a buddy. It’s best to be accompanied by someone when going for a swim.
• Stay within designated areas with lifeguard supervision at the beach or public pools.
• When boating, make sure you’re equipped with life jackets for each person on board.
For more water safety information, check out the Florida Department of Children and Families article “ABCDs of Water Safety
Summer cookouts can be so tasty, but injuries and food-borne illness can quickly ruin the fun. Entertain confidently by following these tips:
• Keep refrigerated, raw or prepared food items cold by investing in a good cooler to avoid bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Prepared or cold foods should not be left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature, or more than 1 hour if the temperature is 90 degrees or higher.
• Avoid cross-contamination by keeping knives and cutting boards used for uncooked meats and fish away from other foods.
• When hosting a party, labeling foods can help guests with food allergies avoid potential mishaps and dangerous reactions.
• Use precaution when grilling foods. Never leave the grill unattended, and ensure that children do not play near a hot grill.
Drink responsibly! If you plan on drinking alcohol during your celebrations, secure a designated driver before attending a party. If serving guests, make sure to have the numbers of cab companies or driver services, such as Be My DD
or Red Cap
These safety smarts will be the key to keeping your 4th of July – and all of your summer celebrations – enjoyable for all!
Happy 4th of July from LaBovick Law Group!