Sadly, not all individuals who slip and fall due to the negligence of others will be compensated for their injuries. Often times, this occurs because no evidence of the accident exists, so as you can imagine, a slip and fall in a busy store will result in great embarrassment. As such, the typical human reaction is to get up, leave the store as soon as possible and hope no one saw the event. Folks, I get it. A slip and fall is embarrassing, and you don’t want to draw attention to yourself. Unfortunately, leaving without reporting the event and documenting what caused the fall can be fatal to a claim for injuries. Don’t forget, to be successful we must prove that a dangerous condition caused your fall, and the store knew or should have known the dangerous condition existed. It is extremely important to report the fall and gather as much evidence as possible.
Here are a couple things to remember in the event you are the victim of a slip and fall:
1. Report the fall immediately.
2. Get medical assistance at the scene if needed.
3. Get the names and addresses of all witnesses.
4. Take photos of the dangerous condition and the area of the fall.
5. Take photos of your injuries.
6. Fill out an incident report.
7. For your own records, write down exactly what you recall happening.